|Hanna v. Salazar|
|D-101-CV-2013-1525 (district court)|
|Full name||Alexander Hanna and Yon Hudson v. Geraldine Salazar|
|Petitioners||Alexander Hanna and Yon Hudson|
|Respondents||Geraldine Salazar, in her official capacity as Santa Fe County Clerk|
|Initial court||First Judicial District Court, County of Santa Fe|
|Final court||New Mexico Supreme Court|
|Current status||Awaiting reply brief from petitioner|
Hanna v. Salazar is a 2013 New Mexico court case requesting that the Santa Fe County Clerk be required to issue a marriage license to Alexander Hanna and Yon Hudson.
The case was filed on June 6, 2013, in New Mexico's First Judicial District Court in Santa Fe County. It was initially assigned to Judge Francis J. Mathew under the case number D-101-CV-2013-1525. On June 10, Judge Mathew was peremptorily excused and the case was reassigned to Judge Raymond Ortiz of Division III.
On June 27, the petitioners filed a petition for a writ of mandamus with the state Supreme Court and motioned the district court to dismiss the case without prejudice. On July 3, the district court case was dismissed.
The case is currently pending in the state Supreme Court. It is likely that the petitioners will file a reply brief to answer the defenses raised in the responses from the respondents and the amici state legislators before the Supreme Court considers the petition.
Timeline in District Court, case D-101-CV-2013-1525:
- 2013-06-06: Verified petition for writ of mandamus, filed in New Mexico's First Judicial District Court, County of Santa Fe, initially assigned to Judge Francis J. Mathew
- 2013-06-10: Peremptory excusal of Judge Mathew
- 2013-06-11: Judge Ortiz assigned to the case, effective June 10.
- 2013-06-27: Unopposed motion to dismiss without prejudice
- 2013-07-03: Case dismissed without prejudice
Timeline in New Mexico Supreme Court, petition 34,216:
- 2013-06-27: Verified petition for writ of mandamus
- 2013-07-15: City of Santa Fe's motion to file amicus brief and request to participate at oral argument
- 2013-07-19: Brief of amici curiae New Mexico state legislators in support of respondent
- 2013-07-22: Response to verified petition for writ of mandamus (Salazar)
- 2013-07-22: Response of the Attorney General's office to verified petition for writ of mandamus